Saturday, May 15, 2010










May 15, 2010

Eventful night!

Woke up at 3 am! But refused to get out of bed. I think I woke up because I almost fell out of bed! Beds are very small! I will swear they are smaller than a single! Well I woke catching myself from rolling out out bed! Bit scary! lol but oh well. Did not get out of bed until 7.30!

Trying to get used to NO coffee first thing in morning! I need to have a shower, and get dressed and head over to the restaurant for breakfast - no Timmy's just around the corner.

Arrived for breakfast this morning, and the local Aussie character convinced me that to stay healthy I needed to have my fish oil shot! Well it is exactly that! A shot glass full of fish oil! She assured me that I would live forever if I had this shot! lol Well, have to wait to see if I live forever, but damn the taste seemed to live forever! I found out later that only 2 of us had the shot! Well, I guess we will out live the rest of you.........


Fairly quiet day today, but makes sense, we have covered the fire and ice! That is Iceland!

Caught sight of reindeer today! Bus driver just stops on highway, or if needed, he just backs up. This is the main highway around the island. But far less traffic today than yesterday, and that was not much!

Driving around the fjord of the northeastern part of island. Very picturesque. Fishing the main industry. But is surprising the number of hotels, farm stays or bed and breakfasts! Supposedly they have more accommodation for tourists than they do for residents!

More farming off the road today. A lot of sheep, many with twins! It is said the number of sets of twins is very high. And since they claim to be mostly organic, there maybe something to this....



Stopped at Petra's Rock museum. This is a house and front and back yards that are completely covered in precious rocks and crystalized rock! But then there is also the gnomes (one peeing, see pic)(Steve and Margaret, did one of yours get away?) and other collections such as match books, small shells, free pens..... Should be saving things to set up shop when i get home!


Travelled over a mountain pass as we head inland to the next stop at Egilastadir.

Way too much snow and sign says a balmy 2 degrees.


Arriving into city there is a very large birch forest. Small trees but still more of a 'forest'.

Early stop about 4 pm.


Weekends, most stores are closed.






No comments:

Post a Comment