Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kos, Greece

August 21, Kos, Greece
Took a day excursion to Symi Island on a hydro plane boat!  Traveled at 33 knots.  Could really feel the bow come out of water but the stern was much more subtle.
Nice little town.  Amazing how they build the houses up the side of a cliff.  Walked along the harbour front, which seems to be the main road in and out of the town.

August 21, Kos, Greece
Went back to western archelogical site and found some more mosaics!  These are made out of small coloured stones less than half an inch square!  And they are huge!  Lots of work in the detail!
Then to beach but wind so strong, felt like getting sand blasted so did not last long.  Went next door for dinner and got a free ouzo and water!  I could learn to like that!
August 20, Kos, Greece
Off this morning to see the ancient theatre, the Odeum.  Seats about 750 on marble!  Amazing!  Also a great mosaic nearby.  Met a woman on the bus from the Netherlands.  She said she came here 25 years ago and never left.  She married a Greek guy that was working in a bar.  She said it was one of those, 'I am going to marry that guy' type first meetings.  He felt the same.  Interesting.  She showed me the church she was married in, and also the little farm they have.  The rent out 4 rooms.  
Then off to beach, Tigaki.  Very nice sandy beach and even the water was sandy!  Started talking to the guy next to me, turns out he is a Brazilian working in Germany.  Had a great visit.  He ended up giving me a ride back to Kos town, and we went out for dinner!
I told him I was wanted to go to childrens choir concert in the Odeum so he joined me!  On the way there we walked through the western archeological site as I had not seen it yet!  Many mosaics.
The choir was a childrens concert but was great just to be attending in such a venue!  I think it was built about 1500 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment