Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Panama City, Panama


April 16, Panama City, Panama
Another lazy day.  Did some walking around the area of the hotel.  Did some shopping, but only bought a shirt.
Very quiet day.

April 15, Panama City, Panama
Walked along the shore again today!
Went back to the old town and visited the Canal Museum.  Great museum, covered must of the history of Panama as well as the history and building of the canal.
The museum is in an old hotel.  Amazing building.
Fortunately I was inside as it poured rain!





April 14, Panama City, Panama
Off to walk the streets again today.
Stopped in and had my hair cut.  No English, but my hair not that hard to figure out.  This one cost me $3, but no fancy stuff.  Just the basic cut!  I think she was a bitt shocked when I got her to cut my hair very short.  Oh well.  Feels better.
Finally found the bar street in the downtown area!  Seems that each map has different names of streets on them, this with not very many street signs, makes it difficult to find anything.
The street was very quiet, with most places not even open.  It was mid afternoon!
Today I had to be the guide.  A lady from Seattle asked me where the big mall was.  I was headed that way so showed her where it was.  Turn out she is here for 3 weeks, taking Spanish lessons and using this as a trial basis for retiring here.
Walked back to hotel.  I think I must have walked for about 5 hours today!



April 13, Panama City, Panama
Walked around in downtown area!  Wow, such a difference between this area and the old city.
High rises that have to be 50 or 60 stories high, and many of them just being worked on!
Lots of shops, with big sales!  I may even have to have a look, but I will leave that for another day.
Ended up getting a quick tour of the many restaurants.  Robert, with relatives in Toronto, gave me the tour.  Then of course, hit me up for money!  He got a dollar.  Seems most are guides around here.
April 12, Panama City, Panama
Slow start again, this is nice.
Caught a taxi to the Causeway area.  This is 3 islands joined by a road made from the rock removed from the canal.  Works as a breakwater to the entry to the canal as well.
Had lunch at one of the marinas.  Many nice boats, motorized.  Very quiet place.
Walk along the roadway, and then stopped at a Smithsonian Research centre.  Part of one the islands set aside with many displays.  Turtles, sharks, eels, starfish and the list goes on.
Even saw an iguana climb up a tree.  Seemed big at about 4 foot long, including tail!  
Caught a taxi back to hotel.  Went by the location for a big concert tonight.  Apparently Shakira is part of a Latin American set.

No comments:

Post a Comment